Mike will always stand for women’s health issues, including access to contraception and the right to make one’s own reproductive choices. Since his first day in office, he has been fighting any legislation or executive action that allows insurance companies to discriminate against women. Mike believes that only a woman, her family, and her doctor should be able to decide what is best for her health.
He will continue to defend Planned Parenthood, which provides essential preventative and reproductive health care services like cancer screenings, STD testing and low-cost birth control to millions of American women, and he’s honored to have the endorsement of NARAL Pro-Choice America and Planned Parenthood Action Fund for his re-election to Congress in 2020.
Mike is a vocal advocate for equal pay for equal work and has fought every effort to allow wage discrimination against women. He strongly believes that it is unconscionable for women to earn less than men for the same work.
Mike has been fighting for federal legislation that specifically bans sexual harassment and believes the federal definition of domestic violence must be updated to include stalking and dating violence. Among other things, this would help prohibit stalkers and violent dating partners from having access to firearms.
Finally, Mike will continue to work toward ending military sexual assault, which is one of the priorities of his service in Congress.
Over the past twelve months, Mike co-sponsored and supported a variety of legislation to protect and benefit women, including:
- The Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance (EACH) Woman Act of 2019, to ensure reproductive justice for women with Medicare and Medicaid.
- Women’s Health Protection Act of 2019, to protect a woman’s ability to determine what is best for her body, health, and family, while ensuring that health care providers are able to provide valuable reproductive health care services, including abortion.
- Co-sponsored H.R. 7, the Paycheck Fairness Act, to guarantee equal pay for equal work, and end pay discrimination against women.
- Has worked to prevent sexual harassment and exploitation, and co-sponsored the SHIELD Act of 2019, to make the nonconsensual distribution of intimate images a federal crime.
- Promoted legislation such as the SAFE Act of 2019, to protect the economic security of victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and stalking.
- Co-sponsored the BE HEARD in the Workplace Act, which works to end workplace discrimination and harassment.
For the full list of Mike’s legislative accomplishments, please click here.