Six Takeaways from Fundraising Numbers in CA49
For immediate release 4/16/18
Contact: Parke Skelton (626) 535-9616
- In Q1 2018, Mike Levin out-raised all candidates in the CA49 Field – Democrats and Republicans. In order: Mike Levin D, $326,274. Diane Harkey R, $312,509. Sara Jacobs D, $299,631. Kristin Gaspar R, $261,252. Doug Applegate D, $133,858. Rocky Chavez R, $103,747. Paul Kerr D, $38,252.
- Mike Levin has raised far more from individual donors than any other candidates, $1,566,843. Levin’s campaign is powered by more than 15,000 individual contributions.
- Doug Applegate’s fundraising keeps getting worse. His last 4 quarters: Q2 2017, $281,052. Q3 2017, $147,434. Q4 2017, $137,279. Q1 2018, $133,858.
- Sara Jacobs is largely dependent on her own money and money from other people named Jacobs – accounting for the majority of her total receipts. Jacobs’ money doesn’t count the $250,000 her grandfather put into her SuperPAC.
- Paul Kerr has spent $1.61 million already – and he has self-funded $1.61 million.
- Reputed Republican frontrunner Rocky Chavez raised a pathetic $103,747, and then loaned his campaign $100,000 to try to look as if he were running a real campaign.
Conclusion: The capacity to build an individual donor base and fund the necessary communication that a successful campaign needs is a critical marker of a campaign’s organizational strength, work ethic and the appeal of its message. Mike Levin has built the campaign that can win in June and November.