Mike believes that every American should have access to affordable, quality healthcare, and that nobody should have to choose to pay for rent or groceries, instead of seeing a doctor or paying for a prescription.
Mike would like for our nation to work towards achieving a Medicare for All type healthcare system, but in the meantime, he believes that we must work to repair and strengthen the Affordable Care Act (ACA). He believes that many ideas to improve the ACA must be explored, including the implementation of a “public option,” early buy-in to Medicare coverage within health insurance marketplaces, and the hiring of new full-time federal enrollment assisters to help Americans enroll.
Over the past twelve months, Mike has:
- Supported and voted for H.R. 3, the Elijah E. Cummings Lower Drug Costs Now Act, which establishes a fair prescription price negotiation program, protects the Medicare program from excessive price increases, and establishes an out-of-pocket maximum for Medicare part D enrollees.
- Co-sponsored legislation to ensure that individuals with pre-existing conditions receive the healthcare they need, increase coverage accessibility, and improve affordability, including H.R. 1884, the Protecting Pre-Existing Conditions and Making Health Care More Affordable Act of 2019.
- Co-sponsored the bipartisan Middle Class Health Benefits Tax Repeal Act of 2019, to repeal the excise tax on high cost employer-sponsored health coverage. This bill became law at the end of 2019.
- Co-sponsored the bipartisan Quality Care for Moms and Babies Act, to improve the quality, health outcomes, and value of maternity care under the Medicaid and CHIP programs by developing maternity care quality measures and supporting maternity care quality collaboratives.
- Supported and co-sponsored a variety of legislation to protect reproductive healthcare for women, including the Equal Access to Abortion Coverage in Health Insurance (EACH) Woman Act of 2019, to ensure affordable abortion coverage and care for every woman, and the Women’s Health Protection Act of 2019, to protect a woman’s ability to determine whether and when to bear a child or end a pregnancy, and to protect a health care provider’s ability to provide reproductive health care services, including abortion services.
- Sponsored the Biomedical Innovation Expansion Act of 2019, to provide funding for National Institutes of Health innovation projects, which passed the House.
- Successfully advocated for $41.7 billion for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the 2020 appropriations package.
- Co-sponsored the bipartisan Palliative Care and Hospice Education and Training Act, to promote education and research in palliative care and hospice and to support training in palliative medicine.
- Co-sponsored the Mobile Health Record Act of 2019, to promote the ability of individuals with Medicare and Medicaid to access their personal medical claim data, including their providers, prescriptions, tests, and diagnoses, through a mobile health record application of the individual’s choosing.
- Supported the bipartisan House resolution Supporting the Global Fund to fight AIDS, tuberculosis (TB), malaria, and its Sixth Replenishment.
- Co-sponsored the bipartisan Protecting Access to Wheelchairs Act, to protect Medicare recipients’ access to complex rehabilitative manual wheelchairs.
- Co-sponsored the Never Forget the Heroes Act, to provide permanent authorization for the September 11th Victim Compensation Fund Act.
- Worked to address the devastating impact addiction has had on our country, and currently serves on the House of Representatives’ Freshmen Working Group on Addiction to address the opioid crisis in the United States.
- Co-sponsored legislation including H.R. 2482, the Mainstreaming Addiction Treatment Act of 2019, to ensure that individuals receive the addiction treatment they need.
For the full list of Mike’s legislative accomplishments, please click here.