Since Mike was elected, he has been working to solve the epidemic of gun violence in this country as a member of the Gun Violence Prevention Task Force. Over the past year the House has passed several gun violence prevention bills that would save lives and stop preventable violence and deaths caused by firearms before they occur.
H.R. 8, the bipartisan Background Checks Act, which Mike cosponsored last year, is an example of a commonsense gun violence prevention bill that is supported by over 90% of Americans – Republican and Democrat – which passed the House in 2019. However, Senate Leader Mitch McConnell refuses to bring it up for a vote in the Senate. This is why it’s so incredibly important to elect gun sense candidates in the Senate, and make sure we re-elect gun sense representatives like Mike who truly represent the will of the people, and who are not bought and paid for by the National Rifle Association.
Mike has been working to institute an assault weapons ban and expand Brady background checks to all gun sales, including those made over the Internet and at gun shows.
Over the past twelve months, Mike has:
- Joined the Gun Violence Prevention Task Force in the House of Representatives.
- Introduced the bipartisan bill H.R. 4926, the Prevent Family Fire Act of 2019, to encourage safe firearm storage and prevent accidental injuries or deaths by implementing a tax credit on these storage devices.
- Successfully advocated for the $25 million for federal research at the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and National Institutes of Health (NIH) into our nation’s gun violence epidemic, allocated in the 2020 appropriations package.
- Co-sponsored and voted for legislation that would require the implementation of background checks on all firearm sales, including H.R. 8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, which is supported by over 90% of all Americans regardless of party affiliation and passed in the House.
- Co-sponsored a variety of legislation to help prevent future tragedies caused by gun violence, including the Assault Weapons Ban of 2019, the Extreme Risk Protection Order Act of 2019, and Jaime’s Law.
For the full list of Mike’s legislative accomplishments, please click here.