As the representative for Camp Pendleton and thousands of veterans in our communities, Mike is proud to serve on the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee and Chair the Subcommittee on Economic Opportunity, where has been able to make important progress for our veterans.
During his first term in Congress, Mike introduced more than 20 bipartisan bills to support veterans, many of which were signed into law, a rare accomplishment for a first-term Member of Congress. He also led comprehensive and historic legislation, the Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 (H.R. 7105), to strengthen and expand benefits for veterans, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The Protect the GI Bill Act to strengthen protections against colleges that prey on veterans.
- The Homeless Veteran Coronavirus Response Act to allow the VA to provide a greater variety of services.
- The Protect Affordable Mortgages for Veterans Act to improve the veteran home loan market.
- A bill to make STEM scholarship programs more available for veterans.
- The Ryan Kules and Paul Benne Specially Adaptive Housing Improvement Act of 2019 to strengthen the VA’s Specially Adapted Housing program.
- An amendment to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act to address some personal financial losses that military families incurred during the pandemic.
- The Reducing Veteran Homelessness Act to make sure that homeless veterans receive the resources they need by filling gaps in HUD-VA Supportive Housing (HUD-VASH) case management.
- The Pandemic Assistance for Student Veterans Act to minimize the harmful effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on student veterans.
- The Veteran HOUSE Act to make sure that chronically homeless veterans discharged under conditions other-than-honorable (OTH) are eligible for HUD-VASH housing vouchers and supportive case management.
- The Brian Tally VA Employment Transparency Act to support veterans with legal claims against the VA or its contractors.
- The Vet Center Eligibility Expansion Act to allow more veterans to receive counseling from VA Vet Centers.
- The Navy SEAL Chief Petty Officer William “Bill” Mulder (Ret.) Transition Improvement Act to improve the Transition Assistance Program for servicemembers transitioning to civilian life.
- The Housing for Women Veterans Act to direct funding specifically for services to support homeless women veterans.
Mike has been a strong advocate against efforts to privatize the VA. He believes that we owe it to the men, women, and their families who have the honor and courage to serve our country to guarantee the absolute best care and services.
Ensuring safe and quality housing for our veterans and their families has been one of Mike’s top priorities. Mike strongly believes that even one homeless veteran is one too many, and he’ll work tirelessly until veteran homelessness is an issue of the past. No one who sacrifices so much to serve our country should ever have to worry about having a place to live.
Mike will continue to use his position on the House Veterans’ Affairs Committee to advocate for local veterans and pass bipartisan legislation on their behalf.