Our district has vibrant biotechnology, information technology, and clean energy industries and Mike has been an active proponent for federal policies to support their continued growth.
He has been a champion for increasing the funding for basic scientific research through the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and helped secure the $41.7 billion for the NIH in the 2020 appropriations package.
Because no full-time American worker should ever live in poverty, Mike supports increasing the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour, implemented at a pace that allows employers to adapt their business plans. Exhaustive research over the past few decades suggests raising the minimum wage produces better outcomes not only for workers, but also for their children and families. Mike co-sponsored the Raise the Wage Act, which passed in the House this past year.
Finally, Mike believes that we must fight for additional Wall Street reform and prevent corporations from sending jobs and profits overseas. We also must guard against the sort of risky business and lending practices that led to our last financial collapse.
Over the past twelve months, Mike has:
- Worked to repeal the state and local tax (SALT) deduction cap, which has been especially harmful for California’s families. He co-sponsored the bipartisan Restoring Tax Fairness for States and Localities Act, to eliminate the SALT cap, which recently passed in the House, as well as the SALT Deductibility Act.
- Proudly co-sponsored the Raise the Wage Act, to implement a $15 per hour federal minimum wage.
- Helped secure $41.7 billion for the National Institutes of Health (NIH) in the 2020 appropriations package.
- Co-sponsored two pieces of legislation to ensure that government employees received the backpay they earned during the government shutdown.
- Co-sponsored the Protecting America’s Workers Act, to expand coverage under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970 , to increase protections for whistleblowers, to increase penalties for high gravity violations, to adjust penalties for inflation, to provide rights for victims or their family members.
For the full list of Mike’s legislative accomplishments, please click here.